Thursday, September 17, 2009

it's so nice to see you back where you belong...

so, here is a piece of information about my family: we are theater freaks. well, really just my mother and i, but we like to force everyone else to be one, too. the first movie i ever saw was the music man. i memorized all the words in falsettos at age seven. i started quoting shakespeare in conversation at age nine. i keep a constant list of my 5 favorite musicals in my mind. and, out of all of this, comes my brother-a wee thing, devoid almost entirely of musical theater knowledge, trivia, or interest. HOW COULD WE LET THIS HAPPEN?
luckily, he is still very young, so we still have time to take him out of his raw, heathenish state, and into the wonderful world of fosse and sontheim!
i have planned this conversion like this: every week, we will watch one of the movies that i used to love when i was his age, and whenever we are going to see a show that's not too grown-up for him, we will take him along. it will work. he liked hello, dolly.
enclosed is a list of all the movies we are going to watch:
south pacific
1776
hello, dolly!
gypsy
my fair lady
the music man
hairspray
fiddler on the roof
dreamgirls
bandwagon
west side story
godspell

1 comment:

Lola Bellybutton said...

haha of all of those movies i've only seen 1776, hairspray (new vers. :x), west side stroy.

but I have seen fiddler on the roof on broadway, as well as south pacific.

I don't think you should force him to be who you are. let him live and grow as he will. I'm sure with the genes and small everyday influences it will be enough, and trying to change his future, mold it instead of letting him, is not the right answer.