Monday, January 26, 2009

my new hero




This guy is SO cool. He's not famous or anything. The magazine that i got this from, NEW YORK, does a weekly interview with a random new yorker. This guy is my new hero. Since you can't read the interview, here is what it says:

Jimmy "Pearl" La Fontaine,
Municipal Worker

What do you do for the city?
I work for the Department of Correction. Something to do with prisoners. I can't say more than that.
Is this what you wear to work?
I don't have to wear a uniform. I wouldn't have taken the job if I had to, because I don't compromise who I am.
You've never dressed up for a job?
Absolutely not. I've been lucky. In the beginning, people looked at me kind of weird, you know, Who's this Gypsy-looking guy? or whatever, but I can still do my job and I do it well, so that's all that matters in the end.
You're wearing a lot of skulls.
That's the rock-and-roll thing that I love. They were made for me by a friend, a jeweler down on Macdougal Street. The skull stands for the fact that we're all going to end up the same-just a skeleton or somethin'. It's always been associated with some badass thing-back in the day, even pirates had them. And rock and roll is badass, too. Well, it used to be.
Do people prejudge you?\
All I can say is I have all kinds of friends. My partner at work happens to be the most-straight looking guy you'd ever want to meet. And I love him to death. When we're walking around together, we look like the extreme odd couple. He definitely looks like a cop.
But you don't
No, absolutely not, and I don't want to be treated as one. I just want to be treated as a decent guy. I love music, going to concerts and museums, and reading a good book. That's my thang. I love motorcycles. I'm still a kid.
Sounds like you're pretty happy.
I am. I mean, I don't ask for much. When I retire, I'm gonna go live in a trailer park.
Photographs by Spencer Heyfron

1 comment:

Lola Bellybutton said...

you should ask to be interviewed. It would be awesome. ur the perfect candidate!